Sunday, May 15, 2011

Priest 3D Review

Whaaat up Internet?

Priest.  I started out with high hopes after seeing the first trailer.  I've never read the comics so this was a fresh take for me.  I was intrigued by the visuals and the holy/vampiric stuff going on.  Then I saw more footage...and was bombarded by promotional ads and clips and looped commercials on the TV at work.  As the weeks passed my anticipation dropped, along with my expectations.  Apparently that was a good thing because I really enjoyed Priest.

Priest is Daybreakers meets Unforgiven meets Equilibrium.  Yes.  A futuristic alternate Earth where battle-trained (by the church) "Priests" fight sightless vampires (that aren't human) that either kill or "turn" humans into "familiars" who serve as their slaves.  Phew.  There's quite a bit going on in Priest..which actually is a good thing.  It could have very, very wrong, but the performances and impressive green-screen visuals were quite entertaining.  I dug the feel of Priest...the atmosphere.  Its almost always fun to watch vampires get beat up by holy weaponry - mini cross throwing-stars hidden in a bible, a metal cross that becomes a redunk knife-dealy.

I was overall entertained by Priest, but not blown away.  It clocks in at a nice run-time and doesn't really stop to bore the audience.  The acting was in general pretty good (even Cam Gigandet was tolerable) and the pacing kept the action flowing.  I'm sure fans of the source material may feel different but I liked what I saw.

Side note: the 3D aspects of Priest weren't great, but they weren't terrible either.  If the choice is given, I'd go 2D to save some money.

Priest 3D was meh.

B.Bullet

No comments:

Post a Comment