Friday, April 13, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods Trimmed Review

Greetings and salutations, Internet!  The Cabin in the Woods is finally here!  For those of you who haven't been following the project, it was conceived by the nerdtastic Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard (co-writer of Cloverfield), who wrote the initial screenplay on their own.  MGM financed the picture, but after going bankrupt, the completed film fell into limbo (along with The Hobbit and what is now Skyfall).  Lionsgate picked up distribution and now its here.

I really can't say much about the film - saying much of anything will ruin and spoil everything.  In this case, the less you know the more you'll enjoy it.  If you haven't seen any of the trailers...don't.  What I will say is that a group of five twenty-somethings (including the now-famous Chris Hemsworth and Fran Kranz from the ill-fated Dollhouse) travel to a cabin in the woods.  And that its a horror film, with a good bit of comedy.  Its actually so incredibly inventive and original that I can't say much more about the plot.  It blew any and all expectations that I had well out of the water, and has propelled itself to the top of my list so far this year.

I will also say that the cast is absolutely fantastic.  Richard Jenkins is awesome as always, and the rest of the cast is quite good.  The standout, for me, is the aforementioned Fran Kranz.  He's quite fantastic and laugh-inducing as the typical stoner dude.  There isn't a weak link the group.

If you enjoy horror films at least a tiny bit (I really don't like horror films yet I continue to subject myself to them...) I implore you to stop reading this and go watch it immediately.  Don't watch any trailers or footage, don't read any spoiler-filled reviews.  Just go watch this film.  Perhaps in a few weeks I'll write a bit more, including spoilers, after everyone's had a chance to experience this magnificent film.  I cannot recommend The Cabin in the Woods highly enough.

The Cabin in the Woods is an utterly fantastic and unforgettable modern horror film.

The Bearded Bullet is...going to have nightmares :(

1 comments: