Friday, April 27, 2012

American Reunion Trimmed Review

Hello, Internet!  I sort of grew up with the American Pie series of films.  Well, more so the first than the rest.  I actually don't think I've seen any of the sequels..anyway, the first film seemed to capture what that generation was going through and experiencing way back in 1999.  I was a bit younger than the characters in the film, but it was still highly relatable.  Now this film comes along, over a decade after characters have graduated, and puts them all together for their just-over-ten-years-reunion.  And it was perfectly adequate.

In short, I laughed a few times during this film, but not nearly as much as I had anticipated.  Seeing these guys (and girls) in their prime, having crazy times in high school was fun and entertaining.  Now that most of them have families/wives/established lives it just isn't that fun to watch them get into zany antics that could jeopardize their real lives.  I'm not generally a fan of breaking up a couple (that I like) in a film and plenty happened in this film that could've resulted in that.  And I just couldn't shake that feeling.  Yes, Stiffler is still awesome and crude as always...and happens to give us the best gag in the entire film (it involves jet skis and a cooler full of beer - that's all I'll say).  Overall I experienced some nostalgia seeing the crew back together, but at the end of the day it just didn't live up to my comedic expectations.  If you're a fan of the series, there's plenty here for you to enjoy and be all nostalgic about.  It just didn't hit me in that way.

American Reunion is a perfectly adequate adult comedy that just doesn't deliver laughs like it should.

Bullet out.

No comments:

Post a Comment