Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Muppets Review

What's up Internets?

I just saw The Muppets.  I'll admit, I'm not the world's biggest Muppet fan.  Actually, I never really watched the Muppets at all.  Just never got into them.  I wasn't really that interested in the prospect of a new film, that is, until I found out that Jason Segel was writing and starring in it.  Alongside Amy Adams.  Then the trailer came out and I was sold.  Then all of the amazing parody trailers were released (The Piggy with the Froggy Tattoo was brilliant) and I was even more sold.  I had no idea going into tonight that I would be watching a virtually perfect film, complete with myriad song and dance routines.  The Muppets is absolutely incredible.

I could talk at length about this film but I'll try to keep it short.  The Muppets nails everything perfectly.  The comedy, while of course geared toward a younger audience, ascends to pure genius that us adults can appreciate.  Very few films break the fourth wall or as quite self-aware and self-referential as The Muppets.  I was consistently entertained by the fantastic musical numbers and choreographed dance sequences.  There is one particular song in the middle of the film that was pitch-perfect in terms of comedic brilliance and character development.  The story, while nothing revolutionary, is so simple and straightforward that I'm confident even the most inept movie-goer will be able to follow.

Its no secret that the Muppets franchise has been dormant for years and the storyline runs perfectly parallel to real-life events.  Jason Segel pitched the idea of a new Muppet film out of his life-long love of the franchise.  The studio gave them a greenlight and here we are today.  The most brilliant part is that the film actually addressed the fact that the Muppets have been gone for so long...so long that they have all gone their separate ways and must reunite to stop an evil oil tycoon (played awesomely by Chris Cooper) from destroying the Muppet studios.  And Chris Cooper raps.  Yes.  That's what I said.  THE Chris Cooper spits rhymes like its his day job and it is glorious.

If you can't tell by now, I loved absolutely everything about this film.  Jason Segel and Amy Adams were terrific as the main human characters.  They both have some excellent, fourth-wall-breaking lines that were genius.  I must also make mention of the myriad guest stars..so many awesome people show up in this movie (so I won't spoil it!) - some for just a scene, but others for a bit more.

If you are a fan of the Muppets you must see this movie.  If you are a fan of anything remotely funny, entertaining, heartwarming, or just plain awesome then you must see this movie.  I challenge each and every one of you to NOT smile or laugh at least a billion times during this film.  I don't think it can be done.  If you don't enjoy a healthy amount of silliness in your films then this probably isn't the movie for you...but just go see it anyway.

The Muppets is transcendently brilliant.

The Bearded Bullet is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment