Thursday, October 20, 2011

Retro Review: se7en

I have finally had the opportunity to sit down and watch David Fincher's 1995 film, se7en.  Needless to say I absolutely loved this film.

I feel that there is very much to be enjoyed - that said, if you don't enjoy psychological thrillers with a healthy does of gore and twisted murders then this isn't the film for you.  Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman are a joy to watch.  Their dynamic is highly compelling and at times what you've seen before...but there is just something special to how Freeman sees the world and how his work and life in New York had jaded him over the years.  We get a small glimpse into that during the excellent diner scene with the gorgeous Gwyneth Paltrow.

To say that this film is stylized is quite an understatement.  Every scene is just dripping with character and oozing grime.  I felt dirty after watching this film.  In part due to the gruesome crime scenes depicted throughout the film - again, each very stylized with a specific purpose (per the killer's overarching plan).  If you're even more behind the times than I am I won't spoil who the killer is..but it was quite a fantastic performance to say the least.

This is one of the most tense and intense films I've ever seen.  Very few films make me physically react in my seat the way that this film's climax did (127 Hours and Drive are two recent examples that come to mind).  I feel that this is one of the best aspects of se7en.  Fincher draws you in with spectacular characters, a gripping story, and an enthralling setting, that by the end I couldn't wait to see how the pieces of the puzzles fit together.

If you enjoy stylish, neo-noire crime dramas, I highly recommend se7en.

se7en is unequivocally radtastic.

Bearded Bullet out.

No comments:

Post a Comment