Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Transformers: Love It or Hate It

Hello Internet!

I figured I'd branch out and start talking about movie-related stuffs rather than relegate myself solely to reviews...and today I came up with a great topic: Transformers.  Today saw the release of the first teaser trailer for Transformers: Dark of the Moon (set for a July 1st release).  I really dig the trailer; it has an awesome vibe and I'm quite a sucker for alternate-history content in movies.  If you haven't seen it yet, I'd suggest you check it out even if you didn't like Revenge of the Fallen all that much.

And that brings me to the main thrust of this post; despite the let-downs of Revenge of the Fallen, I'm still pretty stoked for the third entry in the series.  The first Transformers was a really fun, dumb action movie with fairly shallow human characters, interacting with their giant, robot counterparts (that were equally shallow).  Despite these under-developed characters I was still able to relate to them, and really enjoyed watching their unfolding journey with the Autobots.

Revenge of the Fallen came two years later and didn't fair as well as the original.  The story was a bit too similar to the first, with a race between the two factions to get to a goal (the all-spark, and an energy-collector thingy in Egypt, respectively).  The acting was on par with the original (not great), but Megan Fox seemed as dull as ever and Sam's new love interest, Alice, was completely wasted as a character.  Add in the racially-stereotyped twin autobots, the complete waste of Arcee, juvenile humor (Wheelie humping Megan's leg and the testicles on Devastator to name two), quick resolution of the story, and a confusing plot and you have a movie that just didn't work all that well.  The only aspect of the movie that I really dug was the action; I will never tire of giant robots smashing each other to bits.  The forest fight with Optimus taking on multiple decepticons is really, really cool.

With the second movie disappointing almost everyone on the planet, I'm sure that more than a few will be quite hesitant when it comes to the final act of the trilogy.  I'm more than willing to give it a shot, not only because of my predisposition to try anything, but because of the promising teaser trailer.  Yes, trailers are and can be deceiving but I'm trying to stay positive with this one.  It seems that Michael Bay has acknowledged the mistakes and missteps that occurred with Revenge and that he has set out to correct them with DotM.  What say you, internet?  Are you willing to give the third one a chance?  Maybe you really enjoyed RotF.  Please feel free to share your opinions below!!

I'll leave you with a parting thought:  Why did Jetfire have a cane and a beard?  Machines don't age..and when he became the SR-71 he would've had to have had a cane then..

The Bearded Bullet

No comments:

Post a Comment